If you have just started dabbling in DIY and carpentry work around your home, you would know by now that the planks you source from the local shops come in various sizes and shapes. And you need to reshape, resize them to the right thickness before you can integrate the same to your project. It is vital that you invest in a good thickness planer because if you plan to do some woodworking, you are going to need it. And if you are in the construction business, you would definitely require a good planer but with so many choices out there, it can be downright hard to make the right choice. That’s why we have collated some of the best thickness planers and have reviewed the same, for your easy convenience. Just remember that choosing the most expensive model may not necessarily be a good fit, so you may want to check out all the models and select one which meets your requirements.
So let’s get started, shall we?
Best Thickness Planers Reviews 2019
The Dewalt is certainly interesting to look at; it happens to come with a 15 AMP 20,000 RPM motor, along with a 10,000 RPM cutter head. That certainly happens to make it quite powerful enough. What’s evident enough is that this thickness planer was certainly built to last long; what’s more, this product happens to come highly rated as well. It comes with a three knife cutter head, which operates at 10000 RPM and is quite powerful enough to handle both soft and hardwood planks with ease.
Incidentally, this model also happens to come with a two-speed gearbox that enables you to vary the feed speed accordingly, in order to optimize the cut. This particular model comes with a maximum depth of 1/8th inch with full capacity at 6 inches of depth. You can also test out the product, to see how it fits in your hand and even check out the other features of the same.
The one issue that you may sport right away is that it is a tad heavy, at slightly over 100 pounds in weight and is one that is more suited for professional projects rather than home-based DIY projects. Given the fact that it is a tad too heavy to be portable, you may have to use this thickness planer as a stationary one rather than carry it around. It does feature some fantastic customer service, and that’s something that you can look forward to, with this particular product. Check out some of its pros and cons,
- It comes with a powerful motor at 20000 RPM
- It comes with a three knife cutter head and you can always exchange the knives for something else better, as per preference
- It comes with a two-speed gearbox
- It is perfectly suited for professionals and construction projects
- It also happens to come with a three year warranty
- It is too heavy to be portable
- It comes with a high price tag
- The replacement knives are quite expensive
What makes this thickness planer stand out is the fact that it comes with some decent build and more importantly, it weighs only around 60 pounds and is therefore quite portable. And the fact that it is quite compact makes it easier to transport and carry it around as well. If you have to work on different sites, on multiple projects, then this is the thickness planer that you may want to opt for.
The Matika 2012NB comes with a nice design, from start to finish. It does not emit much noise and comes with the requisite ‘noise deadening’ pads which should help muffle any loud noises generated as you use this planer. That certainly makes it attractive, and moreover, this model also comes with LED light which indicates when the model is powered on. This model comes with a powerful 8500 RPM motor and with a maximum capacity to handle 12 inch width planks with ease. Now, you can use this thickness planer to trim those planks to a smooth finish and to the required thickness, with ease. It also comes with a cut depth of 1/6th of an inch and is remarkably easy to use.
In fact, this planer can be used easily by amateurs as well. When you purchase this model, you would also get double edge planer blades, toolbox, as well as wrenches. The one downside that struck us right away is that it comes with a slightly steep price tag and the fact that the dust collection hood is sold separately and not included with the product. But other than that, this planer is compact, comparatively lightweight and quite easy to handle as well. Check out its various pros and cons,
- It comes with an 8500 RPM motor
- It comes with double edge blades and can easily handle 12-inch width planks with ease
- It comes with a compact design
- It does not make much noise
- It comes with one year warranty
- It is a little expensive
- The dust collection hood is being sold separately
This Dewalt model comes with the same unique Yellow and black exterior and is certainly built to withstand all the rigours of heavy-duty work. It has a solid build and incidentally, it also happens to be a Benchtop thickness planer. It comes with one heck of a powerful 15 AMP motor with 20000 RPM and can easily cut into both soft and hardwood, as a knife cuts through butter. It also features a three blade cutter head where the blades can both be exchanged as well as reversed easily without much hassle. Apart from being able, to cut hardwoods easily, this planer also comes with one of the best cut rates as well, around 96 cuts per inch, and that’s a lot.
Given its functionality, you may be pleasantly surprised to learn that it comes with a decent price tag. This thickness planer is one that is built to last long, and is durable, strong, sturdy, and can withstand severe stress and strain easily. What makes this particular model stand out is the fact that it is a bench top and therefore, the model is anchored in place. You can use it to resize and reshape the planks as needed and to the required thickness. It does cause some noise pollution but that is to be expected of all planers. This model also comes with a three-year warranty as well but the dust collection system certainly needs some rework. Check out some of the main pros and cons of this product,
- It comes with a powerful 15 AMP, 20000 RPM motor
- It comes with three blade cutter head where the blades can be exchanged with ease
- It comes with a decent price tag
- It also comes with a three year warranty
- The dust collection system is not that great
- It is quite heavy and therefore not portable
- The replacement knives are quite expensive as well
If you are on the lookout for something more compact, and yet highly functional and durable, then you would definitely want to take a closer look at this model. It comes with a powerful 15 AMP motor and can make the cuts you need, to 3/22th of an inch. It can also easily handle various planks to 13th inches and not more than that.
It comes with adjustable in-feed and out-feed, and you should be able to handle it quite easy to handle any sized project. It certainly comes with a good built and apart from its steady build, it also comes with blades that can be exchanged quite easily. The one downside that we could spot is that it is not that powerful enough to handle all the hardwoods. And then there’s the price tag, It is well suited for the lay amateur and comes with decent power, to handle the various DIY projects at home. It is lightweight and compact, but do remember that for professional projects, that may require you to work with hardwoods, you may want to opt for a thickness planer with a more powerful motor. Check out the various pros and cons of this beautiful story.
- It comes with a 5-year limited warranty
- It also comes with a strong 15 AMP motor with the required RPM
- It comes with dual edged knives
- It is certainly quite well designed
- It also comes with a 5-year warranty.
- It is quite heavy
- It is not powerful enough to be used on hardwoods
If you are looking for an entry-level model, one that is easy to use and compact to an extent, then you would definitely want to take a closer look at the WEN 6552. This model is a benchtop thickness planer, that’s quite compact and easy to use. It comes equipped with a powerful 15 AMP motor, and can easily handle planks that are six inches in thickness and 13 inches in width.
This model can be used by amateurs as well, and you do not require any specialized training to handle the same. It comes with a three blade cutter, which can make around 25,500 cuts per minute and that’s quite a lot. It is fast, precise and accurate – just what you need in a thickness planer.
This thickness planer weighs around 66 pounds and is surprisingly lighter despite the fact that it may appear slightly bulky. It also happens to come with a two-year warranty as well, and in case of any issue, you can get it serviced real fast as the customer service is available round the clock. What makes this model stand out is that it comes with a solid cast iron base, and is certainly built to withstand rigorous pressure, and stress; it should definitely last long.
It also happens to come with variable infeed/outfeed tables where the height can be adjusted as per your preference. It also comes with fan assisted dust port which can be quite handy for removing dust, wood chips from the table when working. This is one sturdy planer and should definitely last you for a long while. Check out the various pros and cons of this model,
- It comes with a powerful 15 AMP motor
- It can make around 25.500 cuts per minute
- It comes with three blade design which is effective
- It can handle various types of both soft and hardwoods with ease
- It is attractively priced
- It also comes with a two-year warranty
- This model is best suited for personal use, home-based or DIY projects and not meant for professional use
This may not look like your traditional thickness planer but it sure happens to be one. Granted that the design does catch your eye right away and it does have a certain futuristic look. That being said, it is quite effective in ensuring that you are able to process all the planks and reshape them to the right thickness effortlessly. It is typically a sanding machine that also doubles as a thickness planer – it comes with a 36-inch belt as well as a 6-inch disc. It also comes with a 4.3 AMP motor along with 3500 RPM, and can effortlessly reduce the thickness, remove the rough edges and splinters of rough wood and provide you with the finished look that you are looking for.
It comes with a sturdy cast iron base which effectively grounds the model and prevents it from shaking from side to side. The belt tilts to 90 degrees and you can use the same to vary the sanding process and to provide your plank with a better finish. It also comes with a sanding disc as well as belt sander with which you can trim down those rough planks with ease. Check out some of the pros and cons of this product.
- It comes with a 4.3 AMP motor, that can provide around 3500 RPM
- It is compact, lightweight and sturdy
- It is reasonably priced
- It also comes with the required warranty as well
- It is better suited for amateurs and first time users; this product is not meant for professional use.
What you need to look for in a best Thickness Planer?
When it comes to purchasing a thickness planer, there are a few things that you may want to keep in mind. Of course, the cost and the price tag matters, and then, there’s the brand reputation. There’s no point in purchasing a brand new planer, from a new brand with zero positive reviews especially if you are required to shell out in hundreds of dollars. It makes more sense to opt for a model, which comes with a few positive reviews, at the least. But apart from these factors, you may also want to take a closer look at the motor, the quality of the product itself, and whether it comes with any special features. And lastly, you may also want to consider the thickness allowance as well.
- The motor: It goes without saying that when it comes to the thickness planer, or for that matter, any planer, the motor is pivotal to how it functions. So if you are going to be working with a lot of different woods, from soft to hardwoods, from soft pine to Oak, then you would need to go for a model that comes with a good quality motor and more RPM.
- The build: When it comes to selecting the perfect planer, you are essentially looking for one with a solid build, one that can withstand all the wear and tear. Do remember that as you use a planer, it will vibrate and shake, so you need one with a good sturdy build, one that can withstand rigorous usage. Usually, planers made with heavy metals such as cast iron are more durable and can withstand a great amount of stress and pressure as well.
- The allowance: Each thickness planner comes with an ‘allowance’. The allowance in this regard refers to the largest width of a rough piece of wood that your planer can handle, which should ideally be six inches at the least. Of course, you can always tweak and customize it later on, but generally speaking, the planer must ideally be able to handle rough wood planks with at least six inches of width.
These are some of the factors that you may want to consider when going over all the thickness planers.
These are some of the best thickness planners 2019 in the market that’s currently available. You need to check them out and most stand out on account of one aspect or the other. Review them in detail, check out their features and price tag, and choose the one that makes the cut. The planer you select, must be highly functional and come loaded with more than just a few features.